Most days, breakfast in our house is a boiled egg and cucumber sticks. Throughout my pregnancy all I have wanted in the morning is a humble egg and if I try and change it up I just get hangry by 10am.
That little boost of protein in the morning really sustains me, but to be honest it’s plain boring so with stone fruit finally coming into season here in Australia and a big jar of chia seeds sitting in my pantry, feeling very neglected, I decided to shake breakfast up.
And it was good. Really good.
- 3 peaches
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of vanilla powder or ¼ tsp vanilla paste
- 1 Tbls honey
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1½ cups coconut/almond milk
- honey to drizzle
- Peel the peaches, then slice them into medium-thin pieces
- Place them in a small saucepan with ¼ cup water and vanilla powder. Heat to a simmer and allow the water to reduce slightly before adding the honey. It is ready when the peaches are soft, but still holding their form and the liquid has reduced to a syrup.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then spoon the mixture into 2 glasses. Chill for a few minutes in the fridge.
- Combine the chia seeds and coconut/almond milk in a small jug and stir. Allow the chia seeds to start forming a gel. Keep stirring now and again to evenly distribute the chia seeds. ( You want the gel to be thick enough so that it forms a separate layer on top of the peaches, but still thin enough to pour from the jug.)
- Once the Chia gel is a good consistency pour it over the peaches in the glasses and allow to set in the fridge before drizzling with honey and enjoying.