I have been um-ing and ah-ing for quite literally ages now about what to create for a special free gift for The Luminous Kitchen subscribers. It’s not that I was short on ideas, but I was struggling to figure out what you would want. I wanted it to be useful, beautiful and of value.
Since Christmas and the festive season is almost here I finally decided to create an ecookbook filled with salad recipes that you can make just for yourself or for a whole house full of guests.
Once I decide on the direction I’m headed, I’m all about massive action so in just a week and a half I had 11 recipes tested and photographed for the book.I found a graphic designer in New York to put it together for me and she did such an incredible job. The design is exactly what I was after.
You may recognize 3 of the recipes from my archives…that’s because they are such delicious recipes I just couldn’t leave them out.
I simply adore this recipe I’m going to share with you here from Sensational Salads for Za’atar Chicken, Haloumi and Watermelon Salad. It is adapted from the Women’s Weekly Summer/Winter cookbook and to me it just epitomizes summer.
The watermelon adds a refreshing crunch while the saltiness of the olives and the haloumi are punctuated with the Middle Eastern flavors of the za’atar spice.
When I think of hot summer days licked with a salty sea breeze I want this salad.
To get your free copy of Sensational Salads just sign up in the side bar and it’s all yours. I hope you enjoy it.
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 3 Tbls za'atar
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 800g seedless watermelon, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 (180g) pieces haloumi cheese, torn
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbls red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp honey
- Cut the chicken fillets horizontally, then place in a bowl with olive oil and za'atar. Toss to coat.
- Heat a grill plate over medium heat and cook the chicken for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Brush the haloumi pieces with olive oil and fry them until lightly browned on each side.
- Slice the chicken. Combine all the dressing ingredients, then begin to assemble the salad.
- Finish it off by spooning the dressing over and scattering the fresh mint.