With summer starting to tease us here in Melbourne I find our meals and our moods lightening. I wanted to want salads throughout winter but it so fricken cold here ( I thought Melbourne would be like Cape Town weather wise but its very different and way colder in winter) One pot crockpot meals were our staple for ages. To tell you the truth, Corey and I were living in our very first home together (off boats) so we only had 1 pot for a long time. My new kitchen was definitely not stocked with gadgets like my galley was but it was fun finding ways to still make interesting meals with what we had and I am still amazed at what I can do with my food processor alone.
I thought I would kick off with some summer inspired meals to will it along a bit more. This salad is great as a side for a lazy Sunday BBQ or even just on its own. Simple, fresh flavours.
- 1 bunch of rocket
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 80g feta cheese
- ½ bunch of asparagus cut into thirds
- mint leaves
- olive oil
- ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- Cook the frozen peas in boiling water for 4 minutes then drain and run cold water over them. Leave them submerged in cold water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. ( this will keep them from wrinkling)
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 40 seconds before plunging into ice water to stop the cooking process so that they retain their bright green colour and crispness
- On a serving platter drizzle a little olive oil and squeeze some of the lemon.
- Arrange the washed rocket on the platter and top with peas and asparagus
- Crumble the feta over the top and scatter picked mint leaves around the dish
- Crack some black pepper over it and drizzle some more olive oil and squeezed lemon juice